At St Hugh’s Preschool we aim to support the essential work of parents as first educators and carers of young children, and to provide a safe, secure, stimulating and caring environment where children are supported in reaching their full potential. We want children to feel happy and secure in the absence of their parents.
St Hugh’s Community Pre-School provides places for children who receive Government funding, and whose parent’s total income does not exceed £30,000 per annum.
Government funded places for Three and Four year old children
All settings registered to accept government funding (detailed in the code of practice) must offer free 15 hour per week nursery provision places for children aged three to five years old, as specified by the local authority.
Please note nursery education funded sessions are funded termly, which is for 38 weeks of the year not 52 and that funding begins the term following your child’s third birthday.
Government funded places for Two year old funding
The Pre-School also accepts two year old Government funding. Please be aware that two year old funding is only eligible for parent/carers who receive one or more of the following:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers’ Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support allowance
- Support under part VI of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (with an annual gross income of no more than £16,190) and are not in receipt of Working Tax Credits (except during the four week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week).
- Or, children who are looked after by the local authority.
Our Admission’s Policy
The pre-school operates a first come first served basis in line with our admission criteria. Currently there is a short waiting list for a preschool place. In order to be placed on this, parents need to fill out our Application Form and return it to us along with a copy of any Government funding letters.
Our Admission Criteria is:
- Two year old funded children
- Children whose parent/carer are in receipt of benefits
- Children whose parent/carer are in receipt of child tax credit and working tax credits.
- Children who have siblings already with us
- Extenuating circumstances affecting the child’s welfare or the welfare of his/her family.
Please be aware that we operate an inclusion and equality policy and ensure that all children have access to pre-school places and services irrespective of their gender, race, religion, colour and creed or sexual orientation of parents or carers.
Lunch Time at St Hugh’s
Meal times should be a happy, social occasion for children and staff alike. Positive interactions should be shared at these times and enjoyed.
We will ensure that:
- Snacks are provided for the children attending, during the mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
- Fresh drinking water will be constantly available and frequently offered to children.
- Lunch time is 11.30am – 12.30pm Monday & Wednesday only. The children are provided with a healthy and nutritious lunch which is freshly prepared each day. We cater for diets.
- Staff will set a good example and eat with the children and show good table manners, encouraging children and saying ‘Please’ and ‘Thank you’.
Our Clothing Policy
Old Clothes are best for Pre-school – children do tend to get a bit messy!
Although we do provide aprons, children’s clothes can still get messy. Glue and paint stains should come out, if they are soaked in cold water first.
Please do not put their ‘best clothes’ on your child and send them to the pre-school saying “don’t get dirty”, or hoping your child will not get the clothes messed up.
Imagine all that water, sand or paint, great fun and they are unable to touch – it’s impossible.
The staff encourage all children to participate in the craft activities to develop their creativity, physical and social skills.
- Please provide a bag of spare clothes for your child with your child’s name.
- If needed you will need to provide nappies for your child to be kept in your child’s bag.
- Please send your child in with sensible shoes for playing in. Flip flops and heavy boots are unsuitable to climb and run in.
Buggies, scooters & bikes
Please be aware that unfortunately we do not have the space to store buggies on the premises, so all buggies, scooters and bikes must be taken home while your child is attending the pre-school.